It was the custom around that time to parade Giants in the evenings, after the bullfights, which were adorned with crackers and fireworks,(not unlike the present-day mechanical contrivance of the "Torch Bull" borne by a human) and which were frolicked around the square, before eventually ending up on the bonfire.
The Giants that are presently in use date from 1860 and were made by one Tadeo Amorena, a local painter from Pamplona. He presented a scheme to the Town Hall in March of that year to built four new Giants which would represent the "four corners of the world" and which would be more durable and yet lighter than the old ones. A local poet- one Ignacio Baleztena- couldn't help but write some caustic lines on the fact that :
"It seems poor Tadeo had never heard tell of The Oceanic Continent".
The present cabezudos in use were built in 1890 by one Félix Flores. Some of kilikis and zaldikos are from the last century while the rest date from this century.